Join us on the 7th July for an opportunity to shape city policy, transport and air quality strategy for Greater Manchester and beyond. In a series of morning seminars, and networking session, you will gain insight from transformative projects being deployed in cities across the UK, followed by a futures-facing afternoon workshop developed by FutureEverything. Workshop participants will respond to air quality challenges posed to transport users, urban residents and city agencies.
Project SimplifAI uses Artificial Intelligence and the Internet of Things to manage road congestion and thereby reduce harmful transport emissions. Methods and insights from the project and event will be used by Transport for Greater Manchester’s (TfGM) Urban Traffic Control team in strategies to improve air quality in Greater Manchester (GM). Attendees will:
- Learn about the wider applicability of smart city technology being developed on SimplifAI.
- Find solutions to air quality with an impact on public health and the natural environment.
- Develop insights into how TfGM can solve air quality problems in Greater Manchester.
- Collaborate with experts in smart cities, transport engineering, air quality management, and policy.
- Use horizon scanning tools to develop recommendations for transport and air quality policy.
Outcomes will be documented and compiled in a report targeted at local and government level policy makers.
- 9:00 – 9:30 – Tea & Coffee
- 9:30 – 11:00 – Introduction & Scene Setting Talks
- 11:00 11:15 – Break
- 11:15 – 12:00 – Case Study Lightning Talks – Networking & Poster Session
- 12:00 – 12:45 – Lunch
- 12:45 – 16:30 – Workshop
- 16:30 – 17:00 – Presentations and Plenary
Lunch and Refreshments will be provided by the IET
About Project SimplifAI
Poor air quality in Greater Manchester is responsible for hundreds of early deaths and thousands of extra hospital admissions each year. The year-long SimplifAI project explores how Transport for Greater Manchester’s (TfGM) Urban Traffic Control team can develop strategies to improve air quality in the TfGM area, by managing traffic signals to reduce the degree of congestion and thereby reducing road emissions at junctions. SimplifAI demonstrates that technologies and strategies can be used together to respond to air quality issues proactively.